Thursday, September 8, 2011

What makes a survivor?

Someone made a comment recently about something I had written on Facebook and commented I wrote like a survivor. So I decided to write "what makes a survivor?"


In life we're dealt situations, I prefer to call them challenges, and we learn through these circumstances, hopefully come out ahead and with experience. When I was growing up, the statistics for divorce was 1 out of 10. Now, 1 out of 2 marriages end in divorce. I've been divorced twice, so I guess I'm worse then the statistics in that regard. I survived divorced, survived raising my kids, and going through the trials and tribulations of dealing with cancer twice. I feel being strong in your beliefs, being firm in Christ, can get you through any situation in life and you come out a survivor by necessity.


A survivor is one that knows no matter what is going on around them - they have to keep going. People, whether friends or family, are depending on us to make it - to be all we can be - to do all we can do - and to prove to themselves and others, we can do it.


What makes a survivor? One that despite the pitfalls, the valleys, and the moments that seemed hopeless, they continually climb that mountain and know that once they reach the top, they've made it, they have survived can do anything. There's a song on the radio about the climb to the mountain. And in reality, that's what surviving is all about - it's about the climb, the obstacles you go through in life, and about reaching the top.


Surviving is knowing when you look in that mirror you know you are at the top of your game, you feel as though you can accomplish anything in life. Stay focused, stay strong, listen to your heart, and keep your eyes on Jesus and you can survive anything in this world.


When you're feeling down, feeling blue, feeling discouraged, just remember that in life we have challenges, and they will test us - but with God on your side - anything and everything is possible.


No comments:

Post a Comment