Thursday, June 3, 2010

Oil and water doesn't mix

I'm just a fish in a vast space - filled with water. Today as I swam, I noticed something different - something that felt strange & scary. I looked around me and noticed how it was affecting those swimming with me, they were having trouble breathing, and soon they floated to the top. I thought they were going to get a look at what was transpiring, but then I realized they weren't coming back.

What could it be? Who is doing this? And … why. I swam closer to the big objects in the water to see if I could find the answers. I heard people talking about an oil spill, I wasn’t sure what it meant but I knew it had to be the strange feeling. I heard them say it wouldn’t hurt the wild life, but I wondered if they had seen my friends floating nearby.

I hear talk of blame, I hear excuses, but it doesn’t change the feeling, it doesn’t bring back life, and I still see the dark ugly spill all around me.

I’m just a fish in a vast space, but this is my home these people have invaded, and it’s my home that’s being damaged. Do they care? Or is it okay to lose a few fish, a few birds, and other living creatures? It matters to me, this is my home – this is my vast space.

In preparing for seasons, we get ready. For summer, we make sure the air condition, the ceiling fans, and all areas of coolness are ready. For winter, we make sure we have fire wood; we make sure the heaters are ready to be turned on for the cold blistery days. For spring, we start getting ready for the upcoming summer months. There are still days we need the heat, and there are days we’ll need the AC. For the hurricane season, we prepare our evacuation routes, we buy bottled water, flashlights and all essentials needed to sustain us. During a tornado season, we ready ourselves and family by getting in a closet, having a radio tuned to the latest news and weather reports. To prepare us for an oil spill … where is the plan of action? What measures are taken and why isn’t there “OIL SPILL PREPAREDNESS MEETINGS”. It seems we have so many groups, so many plans, so many people – but no action of how to prevent such things, how to prepare for them, and how to stop them from happening.

We can’t always predict the weather, the path of a tornado or hurricane, but from past weather disasters, we’ve learned to be prepared, we’ve learned to be on top of our game and learned to take immediate action.

It’s time we learned from the weather. It’s time for a plan of action so they’ll be no more loss in the water. It’s time to take action. No more excuses – just get it done NOW.

No comments:

Post a Comment