Thursday, January 3, 2013

Footprints On My Heart

As we create memories, there are footprints left on our heart to lead us, guide us & remind us of those moments. In life we experience sadness, death, birthday celebrations, school events, & news stories and the birth of a child to make us laugh & cry as well.

In losing a loved one, it's the time when footprints become more pronounced in our heart. Our thoughts flash back to special moments, laughter & remarks we remember. For a while, our tears flow more often because of the loss we feel here on earth. In time, the tears are less and we laugh more as the "remember when" thoughts take over conversations.

My footprints on my heart are times I remember with my grandfather, grandmother, mom & my sister. My grandfather taught me not to say “look at those cows out there”. He said you never know if there’s a bull out there & you will insult him if you don’t include him. So instead say “look at the cattle. My grandmother had a pie plate with a cover shaped like meringue and on top of it was a Hersey Kiss. She told me she saved a lot of Hersey Kiss bags to send in to get her pie plate & cover. I still can taste her chocolate pie - especially around the holidays.

My mother could plant anything & it would grow. She also spent many hours cutting out patterns to sew outfits for us and our Barbie dolls. I miss my mom’s dressing she made at Thanksgiving, no one makes it like she did – some have come close, but it’s just not the same. My mom had a smile that reached her eyes and I miss our daily conversations.

My sister, one of my best friends, you always knew what she thought – because if not, wait a moment & she would tell you. She was sarcastic at times but it was funny, and loved playing cards & board games. When technology took over, she became addicted to her Iphone & Ipad. Hayes was her first grandson & it was soon obvious he had her wrapped around his finger. Battling cancer, she never complained & she inspires me still in everything that life throws my way.

I’m thankful for those leaving footprints on my heart; sometimes those we meet in life leave a few & some leave a lifetime of memories. We all need to take time to remember, smile & even at times to share a few tears as reflect upon the footprints left behind. Each day we should be creating Footprints of Love to those around us to be remembered & cherished.

No comments:

Post a Comment